Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alvinamorey@notmail.com is offline

Default "Hairline" crack in toilet & tank: Problem?

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:10:45 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 22, 4:46 am, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:40:35 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

We have an older house with a BLUE toilet and Tub. We can't get a color
matched replacment.

BUT the toilet tank has a visible hairline crack on the inside at the bolt
hole. The toilet itself has a hairline crack on the glaze at the base.

Is this an "accident waiting to happen? or what?

EMWTK

I am not understanding the location of the crack. What bolt hole?
If you mean inside the tank, you can drain the tank, make sure it's
thoroughly dry and put a thick layer of epoxy across it. If it's the
bolts that hold it to the floor, you may not have as easy of a fix,
but at the same time you wont have any chance of a flood, just some
filthy water leaking after a flush. THere are no other bolts unless
this is an odd toilet.

tank/inside/bolthole/crack...what's to get?!

Epoxy or JB Weld. The JB is extremely strong, I'd use that. JB is
actually an epoxy but stronger than most. Tank must be fully dry and
clean. I'd sand the surface after drying and cleaning to insure there
is no water scale left. I'd remove the bolts, and apply the epoxy,
after it drys at least 2 days, replace the bolts with a new set of
bolts and washers, or at least the washers. If crack goes right to
the bolt hole, the epoxy must be thin where the bolt and rubber
washers go or the washer wont seal. I'd use the epoxy on the bottom
of the tank too. I see no reason this tank cant be used for many more
years afterwards.