Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Need to stain cherry to dark cherry

"Cubby" wrote in message
. ..

Well, if it was an oxidation thing then I would suspect Cherry would not
darken under an non-breathable finish,
which most are. I've had cherry darken in just a matter of hours when
the sun hits it (granted I'm in NM where the
sun is about as harsh as it gets and we have less oxygen here given our
altitude). I'd be interested to see if it's really the
UV or oxygen but I've always been led to believe it's the UV.
Cheers,
cc

Absolutely a UV thing. Friends bought cherry bedroom furniture several
years ago. The wife knowing that I was a wood worker told me of this about
3 weeks after they got it. I warned her to be careful about placing any
thing on the dresser for extended periods of time until the furniture was a
little older.
An hour later she called me to inform me that she mover her 4 footed jewelry
box for the first time since putting it on the dresser. There was a jewelry
box sized spot under on the dresser. Air was able to get under the box but
not much light got under there.