Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Turning a door into a window and building a small deck for direct backyard access-which to do first?

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi there,

Long story short, I live in a condo building on the first floor. The
backyard in this condo building is deeded to me but I currently do not
have direct access from my unit to the yard - I have to walk through a
common basement to get to it. I am in the process of getting building
permits to turn one my large bedroom windows into a door and build a
small deck and stairs so I can walk straight out of my bedroom to the
yard.

I have friends who have offered to build the deck part of it (they
have done this sort of thing before) but have no experience taking out
windows and putting in doors. The window is just large enough that it
doesn't need to be expanded to accomodate a door, but I will need a
professional to do it. The door will open to the outside, toward the
future deck.

What I am wondering is, will it make any difference which part gets
built first? Should I have the window turned into a door first before
attempting to build the deck part?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hey, your subject line and the body of your post don't agree.

I know this is a first floor apartment, but I can't help thinking about
a cartoon character stepping out a door onto a non-existent deck.
Whatever you do, make sure you have a *complete plan* before you begin.
The deck and the door need to coexist peacefully.