Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Painting over putty

On Oct 21, 7:32 pm, Chris wrote:
Hello,

I recently painted a wall. After I was done, the wife decided that she
wanted to move a shelf. I removed the two wall anchors and patched the
whole with dry wall putty. I sanded the putty to be flush with the wall and
used the left over paint to paint over the putty. I tried to feather the
edges of the paint to blend in with the existing coat of paint.

Now, when I look at the wall at an angle, I can see what looks like a dark
ring around where I painted. The centre looks fine and I cannot see the
discolouration when I look at the wall dead on. Unfortunately, when you
first walk up to the wall, you are at an angle.

What did I do wrong (other than not patching the wall first before having
painting it)? What can I do to fix it? Do I need apply a coat of paint to
the whole wall?

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

--
Chris

What is "dry wall putty"? Water putty? Spackle? Joint compound?

Your mistake was not priming first. BIN makes primer in a spray can
that dries in 15-20 minutes. You might be able to get away with just
painting it with another coat (on just the spots). Worth a shot
before buying something else.

JK