Posted to alt.home.repair
Manster Manster is offline

Default Mercury vapor (or other) security light

wrote:
Anyone know anything about MV lights? I have an old (10-20 yr)
security light outside my barn, wired to come on at night. It hasn't
worked since I bought the place, ~7 years ago.

I got up on a ladder yesterday and noticed the fixture buzzing when
power was applied, just barely audible. I replaced the bulb (and
placed a bucket over the photocell, and waited for nightfall) and
still no light. So I'm guessing the ballast is shot.

I have 2 of the old mercs as well. Change the photocell. It should
twist and unplug. Mine run less than $10. I have large side yards with
plenty of good nighttime 'hiding' places so I figure the mercs are cheap
insurance. A necessary evil if you will.