Posted to alt.home.repair

Default News to me! Alert!

"jmagerl" wrote in message
Eventually the analog system will disappear but it wont be instantaneous.
IT will more likely fade away. In my opionion the driving force will be
all those millions of analog On Star systems that will keep it around for
a few more years.

Old analog On Star customers were told they would not longer have service.
IMO, it was always overpriced anyway. I had one free year when I bought my
car and I never renewed.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...transition.jsp

However, based on a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruling, cellular
carriers will not be required to support the analog cellular network
beginning in early 2008. Without the analog network, we can't ensure the
coverage that will allow us to provide subscribers, with analog equipment,
the services they expect from us. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008,
OnStar service in the United States and Canada will be available only
through vehicles that are capable of operating on the digital cellular
network.

We at OnStar sincerely regret that we will not be able to provide OnStar
service to vehicles with analog equipment after December 31, 2007. All
OnStar subscribers affected by this change will receive a letter from OnStar
that outlines how this affects