Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default News to me! Alert!

I believe the story goes something like this:

Unlike DTV which mandates a shutdown of the analog stations, THe FCC did not
mandate the shut down of analog cell phones. They mearly said "you may stop
maintaining them". Some networks will chose this time to get rid of the
analog system, some networks may continue on as is, and some networks will
charge a user fee to analog phones usetrs to maintain the network.
Eventually the analog system will disappear but it wont be instantaneous. IT
will more likely fade away. In my opionion the driving force will be all
those millions of analog On Star systems that will keep it around for a few
more years.

LAst I heard ATT had said that something like 90% of the network had
switched to digital and for the others there would be a user fee (to drive
them over to digital too).

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have carried a cell phone for years for almost solely for emergency
use. Don't even know how many years I have had it, shows only 6 hours
and a few minutes on it. Today tried to use it and it was
inoperable. A guy with me tipped me off that ALL old phones are now
inoperable as of a couple weeks ago.

Per him. CPs were all changed over to digital and the old analog ones
no longer work. I presume that info was publicised somewhere but I
sure didn't see or hear it.

Harry K