Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pheeh.zero@gmail.com is offline

Default "Hairline" crack in toilet & tank: Problem?

On Oct 21, 7:58 am, h wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote in message

We have an older house with a BLUE toilet and Tub. We can't get a color
matched replacment.

BUT the toilet tank has a visible hairline crack on the inside at the bolt
hole. The toilet itself has a hairline crack on the glaze at the base.

Is this an "accident waiting to happen? or what?

EMWTK

Yes. We had an unnoticed hairline crack in the toilet tank in our upstairs
bathroom, and it decided to spring a leak while we were on vacation.
Luckily, the cat sitter showed up to feed the cats and noticed that it was
"raining" out the kitchen windows onto the deck. She shut off the water and
called us, so the disaster wasn't total. Still, the water had been squirting
out the crack for about 8-10 hours, and we had to completely gut the
kitchen. The ceiling had fallen, there was standing water in the toaster and
stove, the countertops had de-laminated, and the seals in all the windows
had failed.

I'd replace the toilet TODAY if I were you. Of course, YMMV.

After the fact...it's a good a idea to turn of the water supply or
pump when you leave for extended periods.

If it hasn't leaked...it may be fairly safe. You could dry-out the
tank and put some silicone caulk on the crack.