Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RMDumse RMDumse is offline

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

On Oct 20, 8:34 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Nobody cares about philosophy when the issue is being shot at.

Issue or fact? Ed, have you ever been shot at?

Which one of us is talking idle theory and B-movies about red neck
Bubba and his deer rifle, and which one experience?

After I swept up the 45 lbs of broken glass from my front door and
shipped it to the mayor of Dallas, I wrote another letter to the
governer. He wrote back saying he was sending a TX ranger out. I was
so excited I was beside myself. I'd heard such stories. He came to my
office, sat across from me, and basically plaid dumb, saying he didn't
know of anything he could do. I told him why didn't he go down to the
Dallas evidence locker and get the video tape I had of the Jeep
pulling up in front of my place and the four guys getting out and
shooting up my door? (Different incident.) He could use video scan
equipment to pull off the license plate, and go have a talk with those
boys, ask them not to do it again?

When he snorted "Welll I wouldn't begin to know where to get any
equipment like that!" I lost my cool. I yelled at him, "Have you ever
been in a gun fight?" As he begin to sputter "Well no...I haven't" I
yelled "It changes your attitude!" He said, "Well, ah, yes Mr. Dumse,
from talkin' with those that have, ah, I hear that it does..." So the
trip out from the Ranger was as useless as anything. Very
disappointing.

No, no, your right, I wasn't 82 Airborne.

I was Top Gun Sixth Fleet in our surface navy. I was Gunnery Officer.
I was Ship's Self Defense Force Officer. I was actually the guy who
carried the launch keys to the nukes at times. I was head of the
nuclear response force, and once called, they could not stand down
from their stations until I personally appeared to them with side arm
held up in one hand, and live ammunition held up in the other, alone,
and not under any sign of duress. (Armed to the teeth as it were.)

Now it has been hard to tell from your response, if you think the
military should be armed, or if our pressence out there in the world
had anything to do with your quite, safe, little town being quite and
safe. I'm saying it does. I'm also saying the pillars of the community
are backed by force of arms, wether it is visible or not. To me, the
NRA's approach is that of appologist, and I have this idea that rights
are rights, and not negotiable without a change in the Constitution.

And you may not understand it or agree, but I'm glad James Walton is
my neighbor for the past 20 years. I couldn't ask for a better one.

Randy