Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Hot Water Cylinder max. head

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:14:22 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

It may survive in this situation for months or years or decades, who
knows? However, if it does fail a lot of hot water may well pour
over someone.

I can picture the rooms filling up to the windows...

It will not sound funny if the water pours over someone and kills or
injure them. That may sound far fetched, but it is not as far
fetched as many think. The last well known death involved a baby and
a pressurised cylinder in the loft, so it is not directly compatible
to your situation, but there is still a risk. There is a fair amount
of energy stored in a hot water cylinder.

As I said, the cylinder may well last for decades in this condition,
but I wouldn't take the risk. I would however use the opportunity to
consider installing a cylinder with a solar coil or a thermal store
with provision for solar.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh