Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default window friction hinge problem

Hello,

The hinge on our window buckled when pulled a bit too hard. I don't
think it helped that the runners had not been oiled for a while.
Should I use 3 in1 or WD40 for this in the future?

I see that there are two types of friction hinge: a 13mm and a 17mm.
What is this: their depth? Across which point do I measure this?

I bought a pair but I notice the holes do not line up with the ones in
the original. Is this a problem? What is behind the uPVC? Is it a
wooden frame? If so, could I just put the screw where the new holes
are?

Or are these holes in key positions and should I drill a hole in the
hinge to align with the existing hole?

Thank you for your help in advance.