Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Joe Joe is offline

Default Strange behavior with the toilet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have an older toilet. A few years ago, I
changed all the parts inside the tank. It
has worked fine since then. Until now.

Lately, it has an odd pattern. I flush the
toilet. The tank and bowl refill fine.
I've watched them.

Then I come back next time. And the bowl is
almost empty!

And, it only seems to happen intermittently.

It's really bizarre.

Does anyone have any idea what might be
causing this, and the solution?

Thanks a lot!

We have the same problem here... Mine is caused by a crack in teh bowl that
allows water to seep through to teh drain (but not the floor thank God!) and
go out slowly over the course of 4-6 hours... Sometimes it disappears but
whenever we do a good cleaning, it reappears. We presume it is the "stuff"
that either gets stuck in the crack or grows there...

My neighbor had the same problem. theirs turned out to be a small piece of
dental floss caught in the bowl drain that would not come loose (???) and
acted like a candle wick allowing water to drip down the drain all day...

I'm guessing that yours might be caused by item #1 above and that you shoudl
pull the bowl to look for water leaking into the floor below the bowl ASAP
lest you have rotting problems.
--

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"