Posted to rec.woodworking
LDR LDR is offline

Default OSB And Hardwood Floors

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:46:57 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

I want to replace the entire floor with 3/4" hardwood planks. This
is do-able because it will only raise the floor a net 1/4". However,
some of the contractors I've talked to insist that I need to lay
a 3/8" layer of plywood on top of the OSB before the new floor
is installed. Others say it's not important and that OSB is the
recommended subfloor for hardwood anyway.

I've seen hardwood floor installers install wood flooring on top of
OSB since OSB has been around. I've never seen them put anything on
top of the OSB (for wood flooring) except felt or that funny looking
foam paper. That doesn't make it right but that's all I've ever seen
done.

Mike O.

Me,too. I installed more than 1500 t&g oak and maple and passed osb for
plywood, swallowing a significant extra cost because I thought it was
the right way to go. I have since seen more than a few installations
using osb.