Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen marc rosen is offline

Default Need to stain cherry to dark cherry

On Oct 20, 7:56 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
I made some shelves to go over a window in my bedroom out of cherry. I
applied some shellac to a piece of scrap and it's obvious that I'm going to
need to stain it to get that typical dark cherry that I'm looking for. Is
there something at the home centers that'll do this or am I going to have to
order something online to get that dark cherry I'm looking for out of this
cherry?

Thanks,
~Craig

Hey Craig,
Roy is correct. You will most likely get the shade you desire by
exposing the cherry to sunlight. What I am unsure of is, if you do
stain it, would the stain prevent any darkening beyond its
pigmentation.
When I was making my cherry bed in June I did a lot of the work
outside and I was not paying attention so some peices (a few slats )
were interlaced and developed alternating bands of light and dark.
Exposing the entire surface eventually blened them to near
uniformity.
In other words, don't stain it but wait until you get the shade you
desire.
Just one (cave)man's thoughts.
Marc