Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] dpdphoto@aol.com is offline

Default Finished Long Parts Tumbler

On Oct 17, 10:19 am, James Lerch
Neat, what are you going to use for media? (that's the part that
always made me skip anytumbler/ vibratory toys..errr tools)

The main parts I'm doing are 1/4" aluminum round pieces. For that,
I've found that small river pebbles about 1/8" to 3/16" work best.
It's filled with 1/3 pebbles and water, plus a little soap. About 2
hours later they're shinny and smooth. I'm sure walnut shells would
make them even better. I've tried a couple larger hollow tubes, but it
doesn't work as well on those. I think the tubes fill with the media
and the weight makes the parts slam down and get small dents from the
media. I ended up using pvc shower basin liner inside. I also switched
to using screw tight test plugs on the ends instead of caps. I cut the
tops off rubber caps and just used the ring sides on the pipe to work
as the gripping surface to turn.