Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jitt[_2_] Jitt[_2_] is offline

Default Want to build an amp

In article . com,
says...
(snip)

If I detect the output power and set the regulators to be able to
provide a short burst of power for a number of milliseconds, perhaps
12 Db or so above the base output level, the question becomes how many
milliseconds ? And what "rechanrge" time ? And then how to integrate
time to avoid overheating the speakers.

I know this is not easy, even if it reduced to the simplest terms, but
I know this mich, when it is cranked, if you edge the power down by
20% it is likely noone will notice, as long as it doesn't distort. The
anti distortion circuit is going to be in place. The best way then, as
long as sufficient headroom exists is to regulate the rails down.
Otherwise things will run hotter.
(snip)

So, a long time-constant (sub-audio) continuous sensing circuit, or
a digital sample at a constant (say,.25sec) interval, with presets for
boosted, normal, and reduced levels. On the face of it, the digital
sample would be less likely to cause distortion in the output.
Interesting concept, Jurb
This makes me think of a high power compressor!