Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Mills ... another flogging

Wild_Bill wrote:
I would be skeptical of the HP rating of a motor from China. I've seen
numerous versions, and any comparison to a motor made in the good 'ol
USofA is difficult, especially true when the US motor was made over
10 years ago.
Typically, the motors from China don't have any internal protective
devices such as those that are included in domestic motors, which
have to meet several agency approvals.

A temperature protection device would cost very little, yet none of
the machine motors from China that I've seen have had them installed.

The quality of the centrifugal switches is very poor, and often fail
in a short time.

I wouldn't consider using a China motor in a demanding application,
such as more than an hour of operation, without at least installing
an internal switch for thermal protection.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Snag" wrote in message
Having had an improvement in my financial outlook , I'm looking at
mills again . Lathemaster.com has a square column machine , weighs
around 750 lbs . Two horse spindle motor , table is 32X9 or so ...
and can be had for less than 2k delivered . Nothing fancy , it is
intended for "tabletop" use . I'm torn between buying a used larger
machine and buying something like this one new .
This has a more powerful motor than some Bridgeports ... and
looking at the design should be close to as rigid . It has the
advantage (and drawback , to be honest) of a slightly shorter table .
Opinions solicited ... anyone have experience with this type
machine ? I've heard good reports about this supplier from several
internet forums ... anyone here dealt with them ?
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

This is why I was hoping someone that posts here has or knows someone who
has or had one of these machines .
Nothing like direct experience ...
--

Snag aka OSG #1