Peter T. Keillor III

Default Sheldon 11" lathe question

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:15:50 -0700, Orrin Iseminger
wrote:

On 22 May 2004 01:37:42 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Orrin Iseminger wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm sure Sheldon made several models of 11" inch lathe. That said, I
have an 11" and 13" and they both have a modified #5 Morse taper.
That is, if you put a regular #5 MT tool in the spindle, it would fit,
but stick out quite a long way.

Hmm ... is there a chance that this is actually a MT 4-1/2
taper? You can find it with the ASA tapers in _Mahinery's Handbook_ in
the table listing the "American National Standard self-holding tapers".
(Page 910 of 25th edition.)

They are pretty close to the same taper per foot, but the size differs
significantly.

MT taper/foot gauge diameter
4-1/2 0.62400 1.50000
5 0.63151 1.74800

The #5 MT Sheldon's will accomodate a 5C collet with the appropriate
adapter. I machined my own.

My 12x24" Clausing (Model 5418) currently has an L-00 spindle
with the MT 4-1/2 taper -- and it does hold 5C collets.

Enjoy,
DoN.

All the literature I've seen on the Sheldon says it is a modified #5
Morse taper. It has the #5 taper, but there is no reason for it to be
so long in a lathe, so it is a section of the small end of the #5 MT.
That's plenty big enough to accomodate a 5C collet adapter.

Orrin

The Delta 11" has the same setup.

Pete Keillor