Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Toilet flushes slowly

On Oct 20, 9:44 am, AE Todd wrote:
I know that is poor English. The toilet doesn't flush itself.
Someone has to push the lever. But I've had the rooter people out
twice now, and they have used the wire thing on the entire house, and
it took 3 flushes this morning to make everything go down. The rooter
guy looked into an access point and didn't see any backup water, and
the washer drain fine, and nothing else backs up, so I wonder what
makes a toilet flush slowly. What is the chance that the air tube to
roof is clogged in some way?

Pour a bucket of water in the toilet. If it flushes fine, you might
have what is known as a "sluggish toilet".
Try this...

Stolen without permission from http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plumbing-...ish-toilet.htm

*** Begin Included Text ***

Does the water raise in the bowl , swirl around and then drain down
without completely flushing, leaving the solids behind? If so I have
a solution that most repair plumbers miss. Look down at the bottom of
the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts
the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around
and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH!!) and
run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals
build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or
you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get
around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a
coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the
swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It
should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube.

*** End Included Text ***