Posted to alt.home.repair
Manster Manster is offline

Default Appropriate flooring for a mudroom/laundry room

wrote:
My wife and I are considering installing a new floor in our laundry
room. Currently it is a vinyl asbestos tile floor - we would like to
avoid removal if at all possible. My preference would be to install
hardibacker over a layer of mud and lay a ceramic tile floor, but my
mother-in-law has convinced my wife that the tile will crack fairly
easily (ie: dropping a can of soup). Will this be a concern? Are there
some tiles more resilient that would better resist chipping/cracking
than others? Currently we're also using the room as tool storage -
would there be a better option? The in-laws are advocating a sheet
vinyl floor, but I can't stand the thought of spending MORE money for
what I see as a lower quality product. I can install ceramic tile
myself, but sheet vinyl would require hiring a pro.

Faced the same decision myself over the laundry room floor. Having had
both tile and vinyl, I agree the vinyl these days is not even close to
the quality of the old linoleums, however it's much easier to maintain
than tile. Tile joints and grout are a major PIA to keep clean -
regardless of sealers.

I would hire the pro. He should use an embossing leveler over the old
flooring and install good sheet vinyl of your choice. Good luck w/ your
project.