Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default home made particle boards

On 19 Oct 2007 21:51:56 GMT, Daniel Santos wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone ever tried to make some at home ? From what I read on the
internet, industrially made boards are glued toghether by spraying resin
over the wood particles , then the result is pressed, and baked with hot
air.

I am thinking in giving it a try, with a home made manual press (not much
pressure) and possibly dilluting wood glue with tap water. Don't want to
baked it though. I'll just let it dry at ambient temperature.

I would use the boards for covering wood structures of furniture, so the
cohesion of the particles doesn't need to be high.

Regards

I'd have to classify this under "cool thought, not particle"..
I see a few problems, besides not being cost effective:

What size boards and how big a press?

Can the pressure be even enough to get uniform thickness, or do you kill planer
blades running sawdust and glue through?

Covering wood structures of furniture?
Are we talking tarping or veneer? Neither application works for me, with home
made or manufactured particle board..

OTOH, if you could make it out of cherry sawdust you might have some cool
material.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing