Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wfhabicher@hotmail.com is offline

Default model engineers drive me nuts.

On Oct 20, 12:13 pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:00:11 +0800, Stealth Pilot wrote:
well the successful ones do anyway.
they display lovely little motors that all run sweetly.
threaded components that look as though they have been ground and
honed. cylinders that squeak up perfectly at the top of the bore.

what I intently hate is the hiding of the tooling.
I can turn steel to an absolute mirror finish for utterly useless
things like spacers. try to get even a halfway decent finish on a
model part and the same tool will produce an edison record.

castings also drive me nuts. what the f#@% do these guys do in the
mould making that makes their molds work and mine produce crap?
(a line of rude words)

I decided to spend thousands and replace my tooling. all of it! to try
to get the finish quality that I seek.
lots of visits all over the place to try to locate decent rigid
tooling. finally after lots of looking I decide on a large rigid mill
and a toolroom quality lathe. I rock up one lunchtime with the cheque
book to purchase the two items. I'm there to write a cheque for nearly
$10,000 for two new machine tools. ahhhhh sorry we wont have any in
stock for another three or four months. f#@% f#@% f#@% f#@%!!!!
I go and hunt out an alternative lathe, a lovely little chinese lathe,
as well finished as any I've ever seen seen.
out with the cheque book again. ahhhhh sorry we havent any in stock
right now. maybe another three or four months... aaaaarrrgggggghhhhh!

all the while I see web page after web page of beautiful little motors
built by guys who all hide the tooling.

you all drive me nuts! I wish you *******s would all have ten stuffed
items for every decent thing you build!

whats the secret?
is there a switch on the back of my machine tools that is set to
'produce rough crap' ?
aaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mounted a new wheel on my 8 inch grinder tonight.
I machined up a spacer, an utterly useless spacer in 2024 aluminium,
absolutely polished finish straight off the tool. the wheel runs so
true that the grinder freewheels for 3 minutes after shutoff without a
sign of a rumble ....because it isnt a motor part!

I tell you, between trying to build schmick little motors and trying
to get the bloody carby on my aeroplane to work without leaking, I'm
loosing it!

I think I need a packet of stamps and a wet tongue so that I can go
bloody POSTAL!!!!!!

(I'm even changing my nom de plume)
TUMESFFFF
(the unsuccessful model engineer schmuck f#@% f#@% f#@% f#@%!)

uh oh the frustration is giving me a
coronaryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

http://www.modelenginenews.org/

Look at the construction pages, and search for the word "stuff".

He's got pictures of his tooling and set up.

--
Tim Wescott
Control systems and communications consultinghttp://www.wescottdesign.com

Elsevier/Newnes,http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

Generally small engines' crank cases and cylinder heads are not built
from castings, but are machined from solid bar stock. 6061 T6
aluminum is very nice to use for this purpose.

As for dimensional accuracy and finish, you need to practice or, join
a model engineering club or take some courses at your local college.

Many, many, beautiful and well-running engines have been built on the
most clapped-out machines you can imagine. A nice, new, ACCURATE
machine will let you achieve this blissful state so much faster!

To get that "cast look" one simply subjects the machined object to a
bead blasting operation that leaves that nice matte finish.

Wolfgang