Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default OSB And Hardwood Floors

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:46:57 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

I'd obviously like to avoid both the cost and pain of raising the floor
an additional 3/8" if I don't have to. But ... I also want this done
rights. So ... what is the wisdom of the Wreck on this one?

With 3/4" solid wood, across the joists, I'd go over the OSB. Parallel
to the joists, I'd probably add the ply. Other times I'd add any
sort of extra layer might be under linoleum, to prevent the OSB
texture from embossing, or tile, to remove some bounce.

Try to catch as many joists with the HW flooring nails as you can. I
usually shoot for the joists, with another nail midway between, using
2" nails in a PortaNails air nailer.

P.S. There are some floor creaks, but at least one contractor told me
this was primarily an artifact of the floor joists and that adding
the additional layer of plywood would make little or no difference.
I wonder ...

An extra layer could actually add more creaks, or eliminate them, I've
seen both results.

When you install the HW, be sure to drive home any popped subfloor
nails before you lay the paper. You can also tighten up any creaking
areas with a few drywall screws.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **