Default Welder with GFCI question

In alt.engineering.electrical Michael Shaffer wrote:

| This might be a stupid question, but if I want to use my welder on a
| GFCI outlet and have it use the GFCI do I have to wire the 3 prong
| welder plug so it uses the neutral plug and not the ground plug? It's a
| 14-50R outlet.

That depends on the welder. If it has a neutral wire in the cord, that
must be connected to the neutral prong. That might be there because some
control circuits need 120 volts (while the 240 volts powers the transformer).
If it has a ground wire in the cord, that must be connected to the ground
prong.

A 14-50R has 4 connections. If your plug has 3 prongs it isn't a 14-50P.
It might be a 10-50P, but a 10-50P will NOT fit a 14-50R. The 10-50P has
angled prongs.

You need to provide more information about how the power cord of the welder
is wired into the welder itself.