Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Mechanical Aptitude Test

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:05:14 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Carla Fong wrote:

94% here (also messed up the worm gears)

Well, I got a 90%, (also got messed up on worm gears) but I think
there's room to quibble on two others.

#15 presumes a frictionless pulley - I live in the real world and know
that a straight lift with no pulley requires the least force.

#31 has no correct answer stated. The correct answer is 60 since the
actual mechanical ratio for the lever is 5:1.

I had the same problems with poorly written questions in college. My
professors did not seem amused...

And also #24, which they describe as a parallel circuit. Sure, the two lamps
are in parallel -- but they're in series with the switch...

Switches are not considered as part of the circuit for series/parallel
determination.

Jim Chandler

Perhaps not by diesel mechanics. They're treated the same as any
other circuit element in circuit network analysis. For example, they
are sometimes used in parallel with other circuit elements, as in the
question with three light bulbs.

98.