Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Andrew.B.Jones@gmail.com is offline

Default Appropriate flooring for a mudroom/laundry room

On Oct 19, 1:26 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article .com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If it is really a mud room, then I would be concerned about the
slippery-factor associated with ceramic tile unless you pick a style
with a rough surface. Wet mud and snow could make the floor pretty
slippery. I'd also be concerned about the grout getting very dirty,
even if well sealed, in a mud room.

I agree. I would go with vinyl sheet. It's cheap, durable,
waterproof and more. Self installation is really very
straighforward and doesn't require any special tools --
a tape measure, sharp utility knife and a reasonably
long straight-edge will help however. Just take it slowly,
measure several times, cut once, and don't rush. There's
no rocket science involved!

As a high school student I had a summer job installing
vinyl and other flooring. So it really is simple enough
for a kid to do ;-)

| Gary Player. |
|http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

I wasn't too terribly clear in my original description - it's not
truly a "mud room" in that it's not an entryway - it was a mudroom in
the original blueprints of the house, but a previous owner removed the
door & window, covered the old openings with drywall, and installed
plumbing to convert it into a laundry room. The plumbing that was
installed was run directly along one of the walls - completely
visible. I plan to 'box this in' with some 2x6s on 24" centers, since
it's really just a surface to attach drywall to (2x6 because the drain/
vent pipe sits a few inches from the wall), properly rough in the
plumbing for the washer & sink, and put in a new floor. I'll check
into vinyl pricing - it sounds like that might be the way to go. If we
decide on ceramic tile, is there any technical reason why we couldn't
mud over the existing tiles & put in a hardie backer subfloor to
support them? I've seen various comments regarding the difficulty/
feasability of putting ceramic tiles over vinyl, but it's not at all
clear to me whether that only applies when trying to install tile
DIRECTLY over the existing floor, or if that also applies when adding
a subfloor over the existing.

Thanks for all the advice! If we go with vinyl I plan to do the work
myself - I had thought it required specialized tools (100lb rollers,
that sort of thing).