Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ZZactly@aol.com is offline

Default Coolant leak, Sony 43T90

Thanks for that,,,,,, discouragement. Actually it is not all
discourgement. Soaking in distilled water, especially if that water is
somehow agitated. Another idea would be to cycle it thermally.

I don't think anything in the way of solvents is safe enough to soak
the PCB for days or whatever, but distilled water might be a good
choice, especially since it is cheaper than alcohol or acetone.
Acetone can't be left on the board for long.

Perhaps the tank could be designed to hold the board in the water, or
some solution we might concoct, while keeping most of the top board
components above the liquid level.

Thought is good to solve this problem, that is where the real money
comes in the TV business.

I wonder if it would be safe to use the coils like an ultrasonic
cleaner. I can see where it may damage something, namely to anything
that works on piezoelectric principles. They are actually mechanical
devices. This includes crystals and resonators, and I kinda think also
things like SAW filters. Possibly even bandpass devices.

And then what of the cores of coils and transformers, can they be
damaged ?

Would it be a good idea, for example, to remove the flyback ? The
horizontal scan transformer ! The tuners ?

I think before undertaking this all this must be considered, but
ultrasonic would greatly accelerate the process.

And I would really like to know what PTS or Tristate Module does when
they get this problem.

We really need a way to get the coolant to migrate out from under the
parts. I had one came back with an intermittent H drive problem. It
was blowing the HOT. I saw the drive waveform's level at the peaks get
intermittently suppressed. The cause was corrosion at the bottom of
the H drive transformer. This set had been recently serviced for a
coolant leak.

I think one of the most important things in servicing this problem
successfully has to do with cooking the set after the repair. I would
suggest a week or more if possible. The problem is you run out of
space in the shop no matter how much square footage you have. Problems
show up in time, and when the unit warms up. It would be best to have
it fail at the shop, rather than to deliver a unit which will have to
come back.

Thanks, and any more ideas out there ? I am all ears.
Orrrrrrrr, , , , ,whatever.

JURB