Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Bose Wave Radio

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Sheesh. "Lush, room filling sound" is not a lie. It's advertising hype.
You talk as though you've never heard advertising hype before. So Bose
uses it to market a class of product (table radio, in this case) that
most other manufacturers don't. So what?

Because it's a lie. Isn't it to everyone's advantage to point dishonesty,
whether it's in government or advertising?

You, sir, don't know the English language. "Lush, room-filling sound" is
about as subjective and nebulous as a phrase can be. Therefore, it
cannot, by definition, be a lie.

So you have a $50,000 stereo, and your mission is to make sure that the
"sonically illiterate" among us don't make the dreadfully stupid mistake
of buying an expensive table radio. No irony there, I'm sure.

I have no objection to people buyng an expensive table radio. I object to
them buying an expensive table radio that's of much lower quality than they
could have gotten by buying a modest component system for the same price.

That is the right of every individual. I think my Toyota Avalon is a far
better automobile than your Mercedes, on every count, but I don't tell
you that you're an idiot for buying the car you choose to buy. Who made
you the protector of consumers?

Just so you know, I think the Wave is overpriced, too. But I don't give
a rat's ass if someone else buys one, and likes it. Many people see the
all in one compact design as an advantage. How does that impact me?

Not everyone needs an $11,000 pair of speakers to enjoy music, and to
bring them up in a discussion about the Wave and then refer to yourself
as a "non-loony" audiophile is absurd.

No, it's not. Some speakers are worth $11,000. Why don't you listen to the
current QUADs and decide for yourselft?

No thanks. I couldn't afford them even if I did like them. Either way,
they're hardly relevant to a discussion of table radios.

Why do I get the feeling that you most likely have one of those $1100
gizmos to "burn in" your $3500 speaker wires before using them on
your non-loony system?

My "non-loony" system is Apogee Divas and Parasond SA-21 amps. Care to tell
me what your "sensible" system is?

Why? So you can accuse me of being sonically illiterate? Music Reference
RM-5 and RM-9, and Vandersteen 2s. Oh, and my speaker wire came from the
audiophile department at Home Depot. I'm sure you'd be unhappy, but for
my naive ear, it's good enough.

Finally, as far as people being entitled to their position without being
able to justify it, they most certainly are.

If you can't justify your position, then you're merely spewing. Harlan
Ellison agrees.

(Then I guess you were spewing when you said that PCs are "superior in
every respect" to Macs, because I'm pretty damn sure that there isn't a
shred of evidence anywhere in the world to substantiate such a
ridiculous claim.)