Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Did they change treated lumber AGAIN?

wrote:
I know that awhile back they removed the arsenic from treated lumber
and the new lumber was almost all copper treated. I read that this
new variety was extremely destructive to nails and screws, and one had
to use expensive stainless steel fastners. I just bought some treated
2x6s for a small deck and asked the store clerk what fastners to use.
He said just common nails or screws would work. I told him what I had
read about the new variety of treated wood, when he told me the lumber
I am buying is not corrosive. This was at a big box home center, and
although this guy is the store manager, not just some 20 year old kid,
I had my doubts about his advice.

I went to another local lumberyard, which is strictly only a lumber
yard and told the guy I wanted fastners that dont corrode from the new
treated lumber. He told me that if I bought it in the past month or
so, I could likely just use common fastners. I asked why "in the last
month". He said they changed the formula AGAIN. He could not tell me
much more but said this recently occurred.

OK, now I have 2 guys who said this.....

What's the deal? How did they change this lumber? What can I use now
for fastners?

Thanks
Alvin

I used some of that new corrosive green-treated lumber to build some
raised beds in my garden a few years ago. I used 16d bright common
nails in a nail gun to fasten them. They haven't failed yet. I'm gonna
knock one of the beds apart soon to see if there's any significant
corrosion.

The problem might be poorly-galvanized fasteners. (Challenge: just try
to find any hot dipped galvanized roofing nails)

Bob