Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Small Width Drywall Repair?

on 10/19/2007 9:41 AM HotRdd said the following:
tie some small pieces of wood to the existing drywall and then tie the 4'
piece to that. Then just mud the gap, if you want this done fast start with
a coat of sheetrock 30-60 or 90 and then some mud. It will make the first
coat dry much faster.

"JB" wrote in message
ups.com...

As part of a kitchen remodling job, I removed a non-load bearing wall
(wall is parallel to joists). After taking out the 2x3 top plate, I
now have a gap in the ceiling drywall that measures about 4" wide x 8'
long. Should I simply fill in that space with a narrow strip of
drywall or cut back good drywall 16" on both sides to the next joist
to make it a larger piece?? The advantage of keeping it narrow is
that I will probably end up with only one seam after several coats of
mud rather than 2.

--Jeff

I've filtered gmail, so I can't respond to the OP directly.
What I have done and what I would do.
Cut some sheetrock about 6-8 inches wide and as long as you want.
Depending upon how long the piece is, put some 1", or longer, sheetrock
screws down the center, maybe a foot apart, like you were going to screw
it to the ceiling, but leave the screw heads out about a half inch.
Put some carpenter's or white glue along the long edges of the sheetrock.
Lay the pieces up into the gap with the glue side down and with the
screw heads as handles, pull the pieces down to make good contact
between the piece and the upper side of the original sheet rock. If
needed, hang some weights from the screws at trouble spots.
When dry, glue and screw up your gap filler.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY