Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Mechanical Aptitude Test

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

(Doug Miller) fired this volley in
t:

In article , Carla Fong
wrote:

94% here (also messed up the worm gears)

Well, I got a 90%, (also got messed up on worm gears) but I think
there's room to quibble on two others.

#15 presumes a frictionless pulley - I live in the real world and know
that a straight lift with no pulley requires the least force.

#31 has no correct answer stated. The correct answer is 60 since the
actual mechanical ratio for the lever is 5:1.

I had the same problems with poorly written questions in college. My
professors did not seem amused...

And also #24, which they describe as a parallel circuit. Sure, the two
lamps are in parallel -- but they're in series with the switch...

I thought just a moment about that, then considered that the switch and
power are ALWAYS in series when supplying a load.... G the nature of a
circuit is expressed concerning the load arrangement, not the power
source.

One question I found ambiguous, because two answers are true to some
degree was the one about the normally aspirated engine. Yes, atmospheric
pressure pushes the air charge in, but it wouldn't push it in unless
"suction" (lowered pressure) were created by the piston moving down.

LLoyd

I agree, Lloyd. I also had a question about the pressure differential
in the venturi setup. I think tube A would have some height in it while
tube B would be evacuated. I also question the direction of rotation on
the worm gear.

Jim Chandler