Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default OT- GUNS

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:

However difficult it might be for you to appreciate, the American
fixation on lethal defense (and you're mistaken if you believe it's
limited to firearms) has a solid basis in the American context. It
doesn't matter that anyone might find that irrational or uncivilized -
it's real. To reach back and borrow from British naval tradition:
We're prepared to repel all boarders. That there may (note the implied
uncertainty) no longer be a need such defense is moot - the
preparedness has become part of our fiber.

I've often wondered why. Including the fascination with the death penalty
etc. Despite the proof that it is no deterrent.

I'm sure the death penalty thing is about the desire for vengeance.

Graham