Ian Clowes

Default 28 day CH Controller

alex_sh@w wrote:

All of the central heating controllers I have seen are programmable
over 7 days but I could do with one with a 28 day programmer to suit
my shift pattern. Any ideas please?

Alex.

Hi Alex

What sort of shift pattern are you trying to accomodate, and are you
looking to control HW and CH?

If you work one of 3 shifts for a few days, then move to the next (days,
afters, nights type pattern) then you might be able to make something
workable using just a single 3-channel programmer. Horstmann do one, and
maybe others. Honeywell didn't last time I looked.

Use channel 1 for days, channel 2 for afters and channel 3 for nights.
When you're on days manually turn off channels 2 and 3, and turn channel
1 on. Then do similar for the other shifts.

There are other variants on this theme where you might use channel 1 for
'middle of the day' and 2 and 3 for morning and evening, say. You might
then leave channel 1 on all the time, and simply turn 2 and 3 on at the
right time depending on whether you're in the house in the am or evening.

You should be OK commoning up the three outputs, since although this
will present 240V to the 'off' channels this shouldn't be a problem
electrically for the components.

You could then drive just the CH from the output and control HW via
different means, or drive both HW and CH from the output. In the latter
case you'd want an additional switch (a light switch would be fine) in
the line from the contoller to the CH part of your circuit so you can
turn it off in summer.

I realise that isn't as automated as you might like, but it might just
get the job done. Let us know if you have other things that need to be
taken into consideration to make something workable for you.

HTH
IanC

PS: Sorry if anyone sees this teo or three times. I seem to be having
posting trouble.