Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default Dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs

Well thank you mister doom-and-gloom!

In case you haven't noticed, technological breakthroughs happen all the time. 15 years ago when you wanted to buy a
lightbulb, how many technology choices did you have?

In terms of brightness, I would expect LED's to dim better than CFL's, since they don't have the need for high voltage to
start/maintain an arc.

There's still the issue of simulating the color change that an incandescent has when dimmed, but I bet it's not too long
before some clever person teams up several different-colored LEDs with some control circuitry to give the same effect by
looking at the RMS input voltage and varying the drive to the different LEDs.

Oh and you can blame the government if that's what floats your boat, but I buy CFLs because they save me money.

Eric Law

"Beachcomber" wrote in message ...

Same as experience as TKM and Ken. I bought one Philips Marathon
Classic 65 CFL dimmable flood as a test because I wanted to replace
the 20 or so I have installed in can lights throughout the house. The
CFL dimmed fairly smooth until it cut out completely at about the last
third of the dimmers range. The lamps output was very cool as I
expected. I took it out after about 30 seconds. My opinion is that
they suck.

The government wants us to use the CF lamps and LEDs and companies
like GE are dramatically scaling down their incandescent bulb
production.

Unless there are some new technology breakthroughs, our dimming days
are going to be over...