Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber Beachcomber is offline

Default Dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs

Same as experience as TKM and Ken. I bought one Philips Marathon
Classic 65 CFL dimmable flood as a test because I wanted to replace
the 20 or so I have installed in can lights throughout the house. The
CFL dimmed fairly smooth until it cut out completely at about the last
third of the dimmers range. The lamps output was very cool as I
expected. I took it out after about 30 seconds. My opinion is that
they suck.

The government wants us to use the CF lamps and LEDs and companies
like GE are dramatically scaling down their incandescent bulb
production.

Unless there are some new technology breakthroughs, our dimming days
are going to be over...