Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Is my contractor putting the screws to me?? Question about venting

Colbyt wrote:
"Finman" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently had a bathroom constructed in my basement. When they
installed the bath fan they tied into the existing dryer vent line,
which I wasn't exactly thrilled about. They assured me it would be
fine. Sure enough, when I ran the dryer, the exhaust went right into
the bath fan. The contractor said he thought he had tied the bath fan
in far enough down the run that this would not happen. His solution
is to use some type of T with a baffle built in to prevent the
backflow. Is this really a good idea? Or should I tell him NO DICE !!

IMO, and it is only an opinion, The bath fan should be a completely
different run.

If it happens to be a gas dryer I know there is a code violation there.

It's code violation either way. Even if it weren't, the moisture and
lint that gets through the bypass is a deal breaker.

Shouldn't have allowed it to begin with and any reasonably competent
remodeler should have known better.