Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Is my contractor putting the screws to me?? Question about venting

In article . com, Finman wrote:
I recently had a bathroom constructed in my basement. When they
installed the bath fan they tied into the existing dryer vent line,
which I wasn't exactly thrilled about. They assured me it would be
fine. Sure enough, when I ran the dryer, the exhaust went right into
the bath fan. The contractor said he thought he had tied the bath fan
in far enough down the run that this would not happen. His solution
is to use some type of T with a baffle built in to prevent the
backflow. Is this really a good idea? Or should I tell him NO DICE !!

How far do the vents run? And what is the alternative?

I think I could live with the baffle approach, especially
if the layout makes sense in terms of minimizing the length
of the vent runs. Even more so if installing a second vent is
likely to be very messy (destructive, visible or whatever).
Maybe impossible, in which case, stop whining ;-)

Obviously, this is not ideal but these things always involve
a compromise and balancing of multiple variables. You've
already had one whoopsie so don't rush into another. Think
through all of the alternatives and factors as carefully as
you can.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |