Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default How much runout on TS is too much

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:02:01 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

factory setup is a relevant data point, in that it indicates how much
care the Mfr. puts into final stage QC., less shipping jostling. the
shipping is the real bugger for factory setup... you're always gonna
have to do some alignment to a machine that has been moved.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here. A company that does not
take measures to insure that a product is delivered in the same shape it
leaves the factory has no "real" QC as far as the customer is concerned.
What really matters is that the sale is completed with a product that is
delivered in the same shape that it leaves the factory. Blaming the
shipping company is a pittyful excuse and is simply dropping the ball where
the customer is concerned. If the manufacturer does not package, package
properly for shipping, and monitor the shipper to insure delivery of
undamaged products it may as well nave no QC at all. Ignoring those facts
is what has gotten many of them in the jam that they are in today.
Sorry to mention this again Frank, Delta had a problem with broken trunions
on their Unisaws some 10 years ago. Does it really matter why the trunion
arrived broken? The consumer saw a product that was broken. That was the
#1 reason I chose the Jet over the Delta when I bought 7-8 years ago. The
Delta setting on the show room floor with the "broken tag" attached to the
top was not inviting. The saw looked fine.

And since you mentioned it again I'll reiterate the facts. As a
percentage of units shipped a small number of units were damaged in
shipment in a way that caused trunions to break. Extensivel testing
determined that what caused the breakage was a full running tipover
where the unit was slammed over on a concrete dock or tipped out of a
warehouse rack. I seriously doubt that any "packaging" would have
stopped that from happening, but in any event, you as a consumer would
not want to pay for it. When a rather expensive improper handling
device was added to the packaging, the problem went away. Your
distributor, who left a broken unit on his floor did not have to.
Delta was allowing immediate freight allowed RMA's and replacement
units for any damaged units as they did for any type of damage. Why
your distributor chose to keep the saw is a mystery to me. No end
user customer was ever "stuck" with a unit that had broken trunions.
If the distributor had used the RMA process, you as a consumer, would
not have had the opportunity to see the broken tag.

Your comment about "may as well have no QC at all" is insulting to
those involved with it and is, of course, your opinion with full right
to express it on an open forum

Frank

My Jet cabinet saw was delivered with no adjustment needed after factory
alignment, that goes for my Laguna BS, and Delta stationary planer.