Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1624 Ignoramus1624 is offline

Default Finished Long Parts Tumbler

On 2007-10-18, James Lerch wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:23:12 -0500, Ignoramus27577
wrote:

How is your generator doing?

So far so good. It does what I hoped it would do (keep the HVAC and
Lights running).

However, if i had to do it again, I'd select a 4cyl engine. With the
single cylinder engine running 60hz @ 1800rpm equals 1 power stroke
every 4 cycles. The big flywheel helps smooth this out, but my
SmartUPS are too "Smart" and see the fluctuating frequency and refuse
to switch over to "utility power" when the HVAC is running.

Its not the end of the world, but does require I shut the "data
center" down, pull the Smartups out of the loop, and power up the
"data center" again... (kinda annoying.) I might look at getting a
little 3kw Honda inverter gen to power the "data center"

The alternative of course would be to build a 5 cyl radial Diesel to
power the genset

I have the same problem with my 2 cylinder Onan DJE. I am not 100%
sure why my UPSes do not like it. Could be frequency or could be
something else.