Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default hydrogen peroxide water treatment

On Oct 17, 8:24 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in messagenews:mmbch3576ti273eu4ugp7cs16jh03kbt4u@4ax .com...

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:24:28 -0400, "Zephyr" an address @ some place
.com wrote:

Hey folks,

I've got a well, pressure tank, water softener and a single whole house
filter.
the water from time to time has a sulfur smell to it, especially
noticeable
after we have been gone for the weekend
( maybe it gets worse when the water sits, or maybe we are no longer
acclimatized to it?)

I've taken to putting about 1 litre of H2O2 in my whole house filter
canister every few weeks, or as needed.
it kills the smell for a while really well, but.
every time I do it I notice tiny black particles in the water for a day or
so.
What are the black particles?
Am I harming anything by putting in the h202 - (the 3% stuff you get at
the
drug store)
any better suggestions?

Thanks for all your help

Dave

I assume the H2O2 is oxidizing minerals in the water, or in the
filter. H2O2 kills bacteria, I'd be looking for the cause of sulfur
in your system.
How old is the water heater? It may need the scale cleaned out, if
possible.

I would say a better filter would be needed, what is the size of
filtering used? 10 micron, or less?

Find the problem by getting a water quality test at your municipality
or even some water stores. Test before treatment and after treatment.

samurai.

He obviously has hydrogen sulfide in his well water --- which is not
uncommon in many parts of the country. If he's located in one of the
regions experiencing severe drought, like the southeast, he may well be
experiencing a higher level of the stinky stuff due to the reduce water
level. It's not cheap to get rid of based on my daughters experience in
upper-Michigan.- Hide quoted text -

Probably he has H2S in the well water and if so I don't know how to
fix that. But there is another possibility and he should check that
too, because it's such an easy fix.

Sometimes iron fixing bacteria get established in the drain. When you
run the water the smell from the sink is really coming from the trap
and not the water. If you pour a half cup of bleach down you kill all
the bugs and the smell goes away. I've seen people actually change
out a hot water heater only to find this was the real problem. It's
worth trying, anyway.