Posted to misc.consumers.house
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Default Septic tank -- how often to pump?

Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:35:26 -0700 from Tim Smith reply_in_group@mouse-
potato.com:
In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
The county health department says every 2 to 4 years, which seems
like an awfully long time to me. I know when I rented a house my
landlord had the tank pumped every year.

I'm one person, and the tank is 500 gallons. Any guidelines?

Presumably you had the tank pumped when you bought the house? What you
could do is pump it at two years, and then look at the report from the
pumper. That report should tell you the depth of the various layers,
and the amount of clear space you had. From that, you should be able to
figure out about how frequently you should need to have it pumped.

Thanks to you and the others who answered.

Yes, the tank was pumped shortly before closing. I agree that it
makes sense to see how nearly full it is at first pumping and
extrapolate from there. My concern was how long to wait for first
pumping.It's been about 15 months now, and based on what I'm reading
that sounds like it's way too soon.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/