Posted to alt.home.repair
AussieRich AussieRich is offline

Default Home made rain water tank

On Oct 16, 9:14 pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:27:13 -0700, wrote Re
Home made rain water tank:

Here in Australia I live in an area that has no connection to mains
water. We have two corrugated galvanised metal water tanks that cost
approx $3000 each.

My family is growing and I need another.

A look at the construction and it appears to be quite simple, curved
metal that is riveted at the joins, these types of tanks have been in
rual areas for decades.

Just curious.
What are the dimensions of the tanks? How are the joints sealed to
prevent leakage? It seems like the joint seals would be crucial.

The tanks are 23000ltr (6000 US Gal) and stand about 2.5 meters (7-8
ft) high and are approx 3 meters (9ft) in diameter

joint sealing is by using a silicone/silastic sealer, similer to that
used in a shower or roof/gutters. In the old days I guess they sealed
them with a lead based solder