Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well?

In article vKqRi.1333$H92.796@trnddc07,
M Q wrote:

Yes, connect the yellow on the phone also to the (IIRC) green.

That should work but might cause some "imbalance" hum on the line.

The set must be wired for 2-party service.

Another fix would be to rewire the phone for single-party service. That, of
course, might require digging-up a long-dead phoneman, reanimating him and
asking him to do it. I missed out on that training by about two months back
in 1983.

If the doubling-up of the green and yellow leads DOES make a hum on the line,
simply run a (earth) ground to the yellow lead. That should cause the phone
to ring when called. Have fun!
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes