Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Default Dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs

"Jeff" wrote in message
Has anyone tried dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs. How well do the work
and do they smoothly dim? What brand name did you use?

Thanks,

Your question is timely. At a lighting showroom open house last night, that
question came up so we borrowed a standard Lutron dimmer from a
demonstration display and connected it to a GE 29 watt screw base CFL marked
for dimming. After warming up at full output, the CFL dimmed fairly
smoothly down to about 1/3 light output (we had a light meter) and then it
dropped out. The dimmer had to be cranked up to almost full before the CFL
came on again. So, our conclusion is that self-ballasted CFLs can be
dimmed; but the range is limited.

TKM