Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default chainsaw sharpening help

"George" wrote: (clip) I still hate to take all the others down to
compensate, but it's the right thing to do.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't see any reason to do it. If all the teeth are sharp, and properly
angled, the only effect of having a few teeth filed back farther is in their
timing, as they reach the wood. I doubt that you could detect it in any way
outside a laboratory. The chain has to be retired when ANY of the teeth
become so narrow they are ready to break, but it doesn't matter whether a
few teeth get there first, or they all get used up at the same time.

If you hit another rock, you will have to file back some teeth
again--probably some diffeerent ones. If you file them ALL back each time
there is damage, your chain life is likely to be shorter.

Just my 2 cents worth. If you follow this reasoning and agree with it, it
could save you more that 2 cents. :-)