Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Leather vise jaws - glue, trimming

On Oct 16, 7:39 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I took a look through Old Forge Hardware this past weekend and picked
up a piece of hide to line my vise jaws. The tag says "7/8 oz.
natural V-Cut Shoulder", and this stuff is about 1/8" thick and pretty
stiff. It's exactly what I was thinking of, but hadn't gotten around
to looking for it. It's amazing what you can find in that store -
it's worth stopping in if you're in the area.

Interesting - I've driven by several times but never stopped. I'll
have to check it out sometime!

If you're near Syracuse and you need more leather, there's a Tandy
Leather store on S. Salina st. I've been looking for leather for a
strop or wheel for sharpening, and Tandy's name keeps coming up as a
popular online retailer, and they apparently have scraps appropriate
for this type of thing. I just found out about this local store, so I
haven't been there yet, but it sounds like it has potential. I should
pick up some thick scraps for vise jaws too - thanks for the idea.
Andy