Posted to alt.home.repair
kool kool is offline

Default OT non-toxic antifreeze

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

The g.f. picked up a used portable basketball hoop for the kids. This is
the type with the big plastic base that you fill with water. The label
on the pole suggests adding "non-toxic" antifreeze to the water. Is this
an auto parts store item? Or just pour in a few quarts of everclear?

Thanks to all for the responses. Let's see:

*Sand*: Great for holding the thing in place, and is already frozen.
But, acquisition, transportation, installation, future disposition, and
portability considerations outweigh the advantages for this situation.
(Note that with one wheel missing, it's going to be difficult to
reposition it while weighted.)

*Make sure to position it in the street*: Noted, but of course I'd put
it directly on the white line in the center, so as not to interfere with
parking, or auto traffic in either direction. Hey, I know my rights end
where the other guys nose begins.

*Pool supply or RV store*: Thanks to the several respondents who
answered my question directly and concisely, without suggesting the kids
take up football instead.

*Salt:* A fine idea, and one that had completely eluded me. For the
moderate clime involved, this one may be the best solution, so to speak.
I'm headed for google now to obtain data on concentrations and freezing
points of sal****er.

One 50# bag of Calcium Chloride 78% disolved in one garbage can of water and
your good for 15 below 0 F. Caution: mixture will get hot. Allow it to cool
to room temp before siphoning or pouring into base.