Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Oren Oren is offline

Default Acceptable Garage Door Balance for 1/2 HP Opener

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:23:01 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

In article .com, Jerry wrote:

Don't know what other thread you're referring to regarding
vulnerabilities, but our HOA recently sent out a news letter with
security tips. One that I never thought of involved removing the rope
from the mechanism that disengages the opener trolley from the track.
When the door is closed, imagine how close that rope is to the door.
Now imagine how easy it would be to snag that rope from the outside
and disengage the trolley. Don't need windows in the door to do that.
Removed the rope from my door the same day. If I ever need to
disengage it, I'll grab a stepladder.

Yup, that was the issue raised here, last week, I think.

In that thread, was the first ever mention about a garage door breach
via the rope. I gave thanks to the poster as it had not been mentioned
in security tips I've read in the past.

I am neverthless amazed that an HOA would advocate removing
or disabling what is, in fact, a safety device. Their
insurers would probably go ballistic.

The HOA is better served, by just collecting fees and not giving
advice contrary to safety.

Now, I'm not sure those ropes have saved a whole ton of
lives. But it's a can of worms when it comes to legal
liabilities.

I'd keep that rope safe and reinstall it if or when you
sell the property.

My ropes will stay in place, as is. I have to further examine one door
as I _believe_ it is on a GFCI circuit. I don't think that is safe.

The rope can get one out of the house, when that is the escape route.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..