Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Acceptable Garage Door Balance for 1/2 HP Opener

In article . com, HKEK wrote:
I am installing electric openers on two new (sectional) garage doors.
The doors are top-of-the-line models from Overhead Door, dealer
installed. I have always understood that the weight of the garage
doors must be counter balanced by the springs. Makes sense.

These doors have a top panel with insulated glass. While the top panel
is significantly heavier than all the others, it is also the weakest;
therefore, as shown in the instructions, a metal reinforcement plate
is added for attaching the opener and a continuous angle iron
stiffener is added completely across the top of the panel to prevent
the panel from flexing.

I'm surprised the weight difference is sufficient to create a
serious problem. Is it just the glass? Or is the extra metal
reinforcement creating (or adding to) the problem?

I can only suggest adding some extra weight to the bottom of
the door in order to achieve balance.

I will need to replace my own garage doors in the next year
or two and this seems to be another good reason to pass on
the windows! The others include cost and a possible break-in
vulnerability as discussed in a another recent thread. The
glass can help the asthetics but the disadvantages are starting
to pile up!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |