Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Daniel W. Rouse Jr. Daniel W. Rouse Jr. is offline

Default Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

"Jeanette Guire" wrote in message
et...
I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch molded as
a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera body. The fix
has been described in various ways by various users in other threads. The
fix isn't the point of this thread.

DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/

DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ix3100-review/

STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...nikon3100.html

The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could the
reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have totally

missed
the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a brick due to the obvious
poor engineering that wasn't visible to the consumer but which should have
been wholly obvious to the "professional" camera reviewer?

Is it that the reviewers a
- Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
- Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
- Clueless?
- ??? or ???

[removed the home repair newsgroup, the topic has nothing to do with
repairing homes or home improvement]

It didn't seem to be a flaw.

I owned a Coolpix 2100 (which is effectively the 2-megapixel version of the
CoolPix 3100, construction of the camera is otherwise identical) and when it
finally stopped working, it wasn't the battery door that failed. Instead, it
was the plastic 4-directional control that just stopped responding to left,
then left and down, and eventually, just stopped responding altogether.
Since that camera was more than 4 years old at the time the 4-directional
control failed, I just discarded the camera and purchased a different
(non-Nikon) camera that was much higher resolution and has a much better low
-light photo capability. (It didn't seem worth it to try to get the camera
repaired or replaced with what would probably be a refurbished model.)

Additionally, I changed batteries numerous times (due to the high drain
issues with that camera even with 2000+ mAh AA NiMH battery cells) during
the 4 years I owned the CoolPix 2100, and the battery door never failed to
latch.

Others, of course, may vary.